Custody suite management
G4S Police Support Services offer a range of critical services to support front line policing which allows officers to focus on their core duties
G4S custody suite operations include the complete management of all custody suite functions through the provision of civilian detention officers. We help police officers comply with the provisions of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE) and its associated codes of practice whilst also performing administrative tasks associated with custody duties.
We fully comply with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) ‘Safer detention’ and ‘Handling of persons in police custody’ doctrines. In addition, all our staff are contracted to act in accordance with any requests made by The Police and Crime Commissioners, Independent Police Complaints Commission or any other agency in relation to custody related investigations.
We have managed police custody suites since 2003 and have provided services to police forces in:
- South Wales
- Across 30 custody suites with over 500 cells we provide:
- ‘Street to Suite’TM – transportation of detainees to custody
- Operation and maintenance of custody suites
- Searching, fingerprinting and photographing of detainees
- Managing visual identification of suspects
- Statutory drug testing of arrested persons
- Supporting the management of bail returnees
- Forensic sampling and forensic and medical services
- Detainee welfare
- Cleaning, laundry and waste management
- Reception duties at custody suites
- Integrated security systems
Benefits to police forces
- Expertise: our specialist knowledge means we are the custody experts for the forces we support
- Improved service levels: In 2012 we achieved an average service delivery compliance rate of 99.64% across all of our UK contracts
- Effective management: dedicated management teams for each contract provide immediate response to custody suite issues
- National presence: we have the ability to scale up as required to quickly respond to challenges or new requirements
Customer survey: South Wales Police
The annual survey of 120 South Wales Police (SWP) officers in 2007 confirmed:
- 98% of service levels were exceeded
- 96% of officers rated G4S helpfulness as excellent
- 98% of officers rated detainee welfare as good
- 96% of officers rated G4S co-operation as good
By outsourcing custody suite management to G4S, SWP has a net saving of circa. £1.2 million per annum on staffing costs alone.
Case study: Staffordshire Police
The Staffordshire Police northern custody facility became operational in 2005 providing centralisation of policing services across North Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent. G4S operates and maintains the facilities as well as providing a complete range of support services, which includes carrying detainees to and from the facilities and between police forces.
"The flexibility and willingness to go the extra mile is always there; our Custody Manager states that we get a better level of service from G4S CDO's than we ever got in-house.”
Staffordshire Police spokesperson
For more information about G4S Police Support Services, please contact Andrea Morrall on 0845 878 7067 or email email@example.com.
Policing Support Services Home Page