G4S provide a broad range of maritime security solutions to the transport and logistics industry around the world
From anti-piracy consultancy and protective security in the Gulf of Aden to coastal patrols off Nigeria, G4S is responsible for protecting many of the world’s largest shipping companies.
In 2008 there have been more than 100 documented piracy attacks and another 40 attempted attacks. The highest risk areas currently are the waters off the coast of Somalia and the Gulf of Aden, which have accounted for over 70% of the attacks this year.
G4S has been a leading provider of maritime security solutions to multinational corporations and national governments operating in these and other waters for many years.
We believe that we have protected more transits of the Gulf of Aden over the last six months than the rest of the industry combined.
Our highly vetted and operationally experienced consultants are International Ship and Port Security Code (ISPS) qualified and STCW 95 and are typically former CSO/SSOs.
Our maritime security consultants have assisted in developing strategic and tactical security plans including known trouble spots such as the Malacca Straits, the Niger delta and Somalia.
We provide integrated and layered security plans to mitigate the risks associated with conducting shipping and port operations around the world. Our plans combine technical and physical security measures, crew recruiting and security training and on-going management consultancy:
- Threat assessments of maritime facilities and vessels
- Assessments of area to be transited and the additional risks of stopping along the route
- Piracy & terrorism counter-measures consultancy and training
- Ship security techniques and methods
- Delivery of on-board ISPS and general security awareness training
- Use of non-lethal weapons and self-defence techniques
- Qualified armed personnel (where applicable)
- Specialist security equipment including firearms (if considered appropriate and always in accordance with international law)
- Maritime security drills and exercise management
- Coordinated command with Port Security Units.
Case study: Gulf of Aden
G4S has been protecting the transits of a major international shipping company, which is moving materials from the Far East to Europe through the Gulf of Aden, since early 2008.
Whilst the percentage of vessels attacked is still relatively small the company felt that the potential for attack required it to take the threat seriously and take all reasonable precautions, ensuring both internal and external stakeholders are protected.
The G4S team leaders have advised the captain and his Ship Security Officers on anti-piracy measures and drills. Our teams have also ensured the crew are briefed and trained to provide assistance to the security team and, where appropriate, in the use of defensive sonic equipment brought aboard by the team.
So far our teams have supported a significant number of transits, at a time of increased threat and attack, with 100% success.